The Electoral Palace directly next to the Basilika is considered one of the most beautiful rococo palaces in the world.
Among many other facets, a princely staircase in the present seat of the District Administration (ADD) reveals the splendour of the Electors and Archbishops.
In 1615, Elector Lothar von Metternich had the present north and east wings built; the west and south wings were constructed under Philipp Christoph von Soetern. The structure was finally finished by Carl Caspar von der Leyen.
The especially beautiful south wing, which can be admired from the Palace Garden, was commissioned by Archbishop Johann Philipp von Walderdorff in1756 and designed by Johannes Seiz. The sculptures were crafted by Ferdinand Tietz.
The magnificent rococo staircase in the south wing, also a creation by the artists Seiz and Tietz, is particularly worth seeing.
On occasion, concerts are performed in the Grand Chamber of the rococo wing or summer open-air concerts in the courtyard.