An important Gothic castle, was erected in a triangular form by Blind King John of Bohemia in 1337. It served to protect the military highway from Trier to Metz.
The castle was sold to the wealthy Abbey of St. Maximin in the 16th century, was destroyed during the Thirty Years’ War by the Electoral State of Trier, and was not rebuilt.
The former richly appointed castle, built on a tapering crag, has belonged to the village of Freudenburg since 1867.
Group tours by appointment: € 25.00