Marienlay Castle

This winery dominates the landscape on the eastern slope of the Ruwer Valley, whose hillsides were planted with vines here in the late 19th century. The Winery was built from 1922 to 1927 from local slate rubble-stone, as a three side structure, parallel to the hillside and with a courtyard on the side of the street. The wine press belonging to the winery by 1880, was shut down in 1961.

The two-storey cellar underpinning the entire complex in a square shape can be accessed via a one-storey semi-basement situated on the hillside side. 1962 saw the addition of factory buildings (cellar complex, packing and storage hall) situated on the hillside side, and which blended in with the complex’ appearance.

The clean-lined, cubic structure built on a regular ground plan is divided by a three-storey part-cube with steep-sloping hipped rood and semicircular protruding side towers with cone-shaped roofs. The southern wing is extended by a pinnacled porch with brick inlays, which is probably added during the final construction stage. In a recess at the front end is a Madonna with grapevines, crafted in the late-19th century in replica Gothic style.

Judging by the function-based partitioning, the grouping of clear cubes, the square window design and the overall construction from local slate, the winery was built in the regional architectural style popular at the time. Put simply, this historic-style approach, clearly reminiscent of French château architecture, is reduced here to a few accentuations and the shape of the roof. The winery, which was the last to be built along the Saar and Ruwer, thus sets its own historico-cultural and architectural trend in its category.

The winery is also characterised by his remarkable and famous vineyards and terroirs.

Opening hours:
on request

Touristinformation Ruwer
Bahnhofstraße 37a, 54317 Kasel, tel. +49 651 1701818, e-mail: