When darkness falls, hedges, trees, and buildings will be "staged" as never before: with sometimes white, sometimes colorful, sometimes bright, sometimes soft, sometimes small, sometimes large, sometimes projected, and sometimes transparent light from thousands of LEDs and spotlights. Lanterns, arc lights, star lanterns, swimming candles, and colorful projections. No matter whether it’s Petrisberg mountain, the Moselle embankment, the Palace Garden, or Nell’s Park, Neustrasse, Imperial Baths, Domfreihof oder the Main Market: Every year the Illuminale seemingly transforms well-known spaces into mystical, enchanting magic worlds. Together with diverse performances by light artists, dancers, or artists, the Illuminale creates a festival by Trier townspeople for Trier townspeople with family-friendly food and drink and laid-back music, where visitors’ interaction and ideas of inclusion play a significant role.
Illuminale on September 24 and 25, 2021
This year, the Porta Nigra, the most famous sight in Trier, shines in a special light. In addition to a light and sound installation for the Roman city gate, with the participation of the citizens and various Trier institutions, the Porta Nigra forecourt, the fountain courtyard and the Simeonstiftplatz will be the backdrop for a variety of art events and hundreds of lights. The Porta Nigra has been in Trier for over 1850 years and is considered the best preserved Roman city gate north of the Alps. It was not only part of the ancient city limits, but also symbolizes permeability and openness as a gate to this day. Under the motto “Europe. Boundless. ”, Its special architecture, its rich history and its significance for the city in the present and future will be artfully taken up as video mapping at this year's“ Illuminale ”.
Photos and videos of Illuminale 2019 can also be found at Facebook.
September 24 and 25, 2021
from dusk until midnight
Trier, around the Porta Nigra (Porta Nigra Vorplatz, Simeonstiftplatz, Brunnenhof)
The flyer can be found here.
Admission & tickets:
5.00 Euro for adults (including VRT combi ticket (public transprt ticket)), reduced prices for children between 6 and 17 years of age as well as for holders of the solidarity card 2.00 Euro (including VRT combi ticket). Children up to 5 years have free entry.
Tickets are only available in advance. There is no box office.
Advance ticket can be bought at the Tourist Information, all known Ticket-Regional sales outlets and online at www.ticket-regional.de.
Entrance and exit:
Simeonstraße (at the level of Galeria Kaufhof)
Next to the Porta Nigra (at the level of the former Hotel Christophel)
Simeostiftplatz (corner of Margarethengässchen)
Facebook: Follow us on facebook "Illuminale Trier".
- The tickets are personalized (surname and first name).
- Passing on tickets is not permitted due to contact tracking.
- Tickets are only available in advance (no box office).
- The 3G rule applies to access to the event site - only those who have been vaccinated (complete vaccination protection + 14 days), those who have recovered (with a certificate from the health department or doctor, max. 6 months old) or who have been tested (rapid test max. 24 hours old / PCR test max. 48 hours old) may enter the event site. Children up to and including 14 years of age or schoolchildren are excluded from this. The respective certificates must be shown on site.
- A mask is required on the event site, except when eating and drinking and at seats.
- The rules of the current Corona Control Ordinance of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate and the local hygiene concept apply.
Tel. +49 (0)651 97808 30